Earlier, we showed you some postcard collections from the turn-of-the-century, so now let’s look at a few other spots around Iowa City as viewed through penny postcards from 1900-1920. Here’s the area North of the downtown area.
(P-0046) The Home of the University President Click here to read more about the history of Clinton Street.
This 1854 map shows the “Public Quarry” grounds at the north end of Clinton Street, which provided much of the limestone used in building Old Capitol. The President’s Home was built atop this quarry site in 1909.
(P-0047) The University of Iowa President’s Residence stands on a bluff overlooking the Iowa River. This neo-Georgian home was completed in 1909 for a total cost of $25,067. Proudfoot and Bird were the architects, and B.A. Wickham was the contractor. The original home contained 16 rooms and four bathrooms. The house now offers over 12,000 square feet of living area.
( Looking north on P-0054) River Road, which is near present-day Dubuque Street, going north on “Mill Hill” to Terrell’s Mill and The Island.
(P-0051) Terrell’s Dam & Mill – Iowa City between 1900 and 1906. When the channel of the Iowa River was changed in the early 1940s to cut through the Northeast corner of City Park, The Island was eliminated and made part of present Terrell Park. Click here to read more about Terrell’s Dam & Mill.
( 1907 – Here’s a beautiful postcard featuring the P-0049) Entrance to City Park – The postcard writer adds “This is that new park across the river. Remember?”
Click here to read more about Iowa City’s second City Park, first developed in 1906.
Circa 1906 – Iowa River north of town.
(P-0224) This postcard tells us how the good folks of Iowa City loved the recreational opportunities offered by the Iowa River and The Island.
The Country Club was located on the Iowa River, north of the city.
( P-0057) The Iowa City Country Club was a special get-away spot at the turn of the century.
( Lovers Leap on the Iowa River somewhere north of Terrell’s Dam. P-0059) Click here to view the postcard story of the Wieneke family.
( River View Drive P-0058)
( A Pleasure Resort on the River P-0056)
Click here to view the postcard story of the Wieneke family.
(P-0052) Hills Above the Dam
(P-0055) Scene on the Iowa River
Kudos to the amazing resources below for the many quotes, photographs, etc. used on this page.
Irving Weber – Terrell Dam and Grist Mill video, Iowa City Public Library Channel
The Island, Iowa City Press Citizen, Iowa City Chronology, February 17, 1987, p 28
An Encyclopedia of Iowa City Information, Irving Weber, Article 231, Series 17, Digitial Library – University of Iowa, p 177
Click here to go on to the next section…
Click here for a complete INDEX of Our Iowa Heritage stories…
Click here for a complete INDEX of PEOPLE-PLACES-THINGS…
Click here for a complete INDEX of stories listed CHRONOLOGICALLY…
Click here for a numerical INDEX to all of the U.S. postage stamps, postal cards, and coins in our collection…