When Iowa became a U.S. Territory in 1838, our first governor, Robert Lucas, who came here from Ohio, brought with him a vision that Iowa would have accessible roads throughout the territory, allowing both people and commerce to travel freely and safely.
With Iowa City being established as the new territorial capital, the priority was getting accessible transportation in and out of Johnson County. Within six months of Lucas’ inauguration, a federally-funded road had been marked out and construction was well underway. Other major roads were planned as well. Read more about this road-building process here.
Since our sister-cities on the Mississippi were so well-connected via river traffic, the thought was that riverboats steaming up and down the Iowa River would be a great option for Iowa City. Back in Ohio, Governor Lucas had successfully built a canal system, so between 1841 and 1860, a series of steamboats did make their way into our community. But ultimately, unreliable water levels simply kept this option from finding any lasting success. Click here to read more.
The railroad was the up-n-coming promise for early Iowans. Back east, steam locomotives were connecting communities in amazing ways. But it was still only a pipe dream here in Iowa in the 1840’s and Iowa Citians would not hear a train whistle until December 31, 1855. Click here to read more.
1840 – Stagecoaches Are The Ultimate Solution.
So with roads being the only feasible option, stagecoaches were the way to go. Thus, between 1840 and 1870, the stagecoach business was a-rolling all over Iowa, with Iowa City being right in the center of the action. Writer Orville Francis Grahame, in his 1924 article, Stagecoach Days, tells us these details…
Allow me here to walk you through a thirty-year timeline for the stagecoach era in Iowa City…
1837 – The United States Post Office authorizes the first stagecoach mail service in Iowa – Burlington, the Iowa Territorial capital, to St. Francisville, Missouri.
1840 – The Iowa Territorial Legislature approves three stagecoach mail routes between Burlington, Mount Pleasant, Davenport, and Macomb, Illinois, and twice-weekly mail service between Dubuque and Davenport. Click here to read more about USPS mail service to Iowa City.
1840 – Frink & Walker is the first company to bring stagecoach service into Iowa City. $3 will buy you a seat on the thirty-mile trip to Bloomington (Muscatine) via a two-horse stage coach. Keep in mind that traveling back east from Iowa would mean accessing the Mississippi River, so that trip would always include getting, first and foremost, to Bloomington, our nearest Big River city.
1841 – As the transition of the Territorial capital continues, semi‑weekly stage service is added between Burlington and Iowa City.
1841 – Chauncey & Dolly Swan open The Swan Hotel, locating it on the National Road right in the heart of Iowa City. A stagecoach stop/tavern/inn, The Swan becomes a major point of interest in early Iowa City history.
1842 – Another independent firm advertises tri-weekly stagecoach service to Bloomington for only $1.50. The price competition has begun!
Mid-1840’s – More routes become available – connecting with Davenport, Burlington, Des Moines and Marion.
1852 – Frink & Walker begin twice weekly service between Ft. Des Moines (Polk County) and Iowa City. People begin talking about moving the state capitol to Des Moines.
1854 – Frink & Walker close their operations in Wisconsin, Missouri, and Iowa. The Western Stage Company buys out John Frink, opens for business across Iowa, announcing daily four-horse coaches running in and out of Iowa City in all directions.
1854 – The Western Stage Company opens regional centers in Des Moines and on Iowa Avenue in Iowa City, hiring one-hundred mechanics here, while housing coaches, horses, supplies, and a blacksmith and carpenter shop. The company schedules stage routes throughout Iowa as well as Nebraska, Wisconsin and Missouri.
1856 – The M&M Railroad arrives in Iowa City, opening up rail transportation to the east.
1857 – Between November 5 and December 15, Western Stage moves state officials from Iowa City to the new state capital in Des Moines. As business thrives and expands, shares rise from $100 to $2,000 per share, and at its peak, the company employs 1,500 men and operates 600 coaches while utilizing 3,000 horses.
1857 – Louis Englert opens his tavern/inn on North Dubuque Street (across from Terrell’s Mill), becoming yet another popular stagecoach stop for Western Stage competitors.
1860’s – The railroad begins expanding westward across Iowa with service to Des Moines beginning in 1866. Stagecoach service now must coordinate its schedule to coincide with train arrivals and departures (see chart below for Iowa City). Still, Western Stage plays an important role in moving soldiers and supplies during the Civil War.
Without a doubt, traveling by stagecoach had both its problems and its pleasures…
Here’s one man’s testimony…
1870 – But times change, and new forms of transportation take a huge toll on the stagecoach business. Trains can move people and freight much faster, so on July 1, 1870, Western Stage Company‘s last coach leaves Des Moines, and by month’s end, coaches that once cost $1000 to make, are now being sold for scrap for $10 each.
And just like that, the stage coach era in Iowa comes to a close.
Kudos to the amazing resources below for the many quotes, photographs, etc. used on this page.